Misha Butot talks passionately about how the CHPCA Square of Care guides us in a mindful process of caregiving, leaving all options explored.
You can find a copy of the Square of Care within the document A Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care: Based on National Principles and Norms of Practice, available for free from CHPCA website.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:05 What Misha really likes about the process of providing care – it ensures a “mindful process.”
- 1:55 “Begin with a careful assessment” What does that look like?
- 3:05 How do we share information? Green Eggs and Ham!
- 6:05 Providing options for the family
- 6:25 Decision making is a negotiation process among all partners involved in care.
- 7:15 A care plan then unfolds on its own
- 8:40 “The square of care articulates what I am doing”
- 9:15 Using the process of the square of care can trigger the inclusion of issues that might not usually be covered – e.g. bereavement.
Chapter 2, Enhancing Comfort and Managing Symptoms,Essentials in Hospice Palliative Care, 2nd Edition, Katherine Murray, 2009.
Study Guide for Nurses Essentials in Hospice Palliative Care Workbook, 2009.