This book was written specifically for nurses, for every nurse – because in your professional, personal, and community life, you provide care for dying people and their families.
The content of this book will help you provide excellent care by integrating a palliative approach, which is to incorporate the principles and practices of hospice and palliative care when caring for every person with a life-limiting illness, early in their disease process and across all care settings.
Essentials in Hospice and Palliative Care: A Practical Resource for Every Nurse provides every nurse with the knowledge, skills, and strategies for integrating a palliative approach, and as such, is an essential resource for every nurse.
Additionally, the text:
- Addresses ethical principles and issues through ethical touchstones
- Incorporates stories to help nurses develop cultural competence and cultural humility
- Highlights best practice interactions and ways of being
You will be encouraged to consider your role as a leader and advocate and increase your confidence, competence, and compassion in caring for the dying person and their family.
Foundation for Nurse’s Text and Companion Resources
The text, Essentials in Hospice and Palliative Care: A Practical Resource for Nurses, and companion resources are based on, and incorporate the principles, practices and standards from the following organization and documents:
Standards and Competencies
- Standards of Practice for Licensed Practical Nurses in Canada
- Standards and Principles of Practice for Nurses in the United States
Principles for Providing Hospice and Palliative Care
- The Way Forward: Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association Process of Providing Care
- The National Agenda for Quality Palliative Care: The National Consensus Project and the National Quality Forum: Domains and Recommendations from the National Consensus Project (NCP) Guidelines in the United States